Friday, October 15, 2010

Portfolio Letter

Dear Portfolio Graders,

Writing does not come easy to me. It has always been my academical "weak spot". I've had to write two essays so far in this class, and I'll admit, they haven't been so easy for me. But because they have been tough, I feel that I have learned and grown as a writer. To me, that in itself, has made it worthwhile for me, because I know I need to improve my writing, and being in this class is helping me do just that.
The first essay I wrote had to do with poetry of witness. Before this class , I didn't even know what poetry of witness was. I had never written a paper on a poem, so this was something new to me. But even though I struggled with it, I actually enjoyed writing it, because I liked the poem that I was writing about. I have never read much poetry because it wasn't my favorite kind of writing, but this poem in particular was very interesting. So even though I struggled with the essay, it wasn't so bad because I liked what I was writing about.
The second essay that I had to write was even more challenging for me. I had never written a literary analysis paper before, so it was a first for me. I learned that a literary analysis is different from a regular book report. And this wasn't just a regular literary analysis, it was also a compare and contrast, so there were two different readings involved. They were two different stories that I particularly enjoyed reading very much, so that made the writing a lot easier for me.
Both of those essays were tough, but I feel like I have grown as a writer and learned from them. I have enjoyed all of the readings in the class and I feel they have helped me improve my writing because the stories are so well written. When I read them, I see how the authors express themselves and how they convey their feelings and ideas through their writing. As this semester goes on, I want to become a much better writer, because, even though I have improved, I feel that I still have a lot to work on to become a more confident and efficient writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment